Thursday, 8 September 2011


Untitled, originally uploaded by Harry Sewell.

Strobist: 430EX @ 1/64 power through large soft box camera left, triggered by Cactus V4's

So a while ago I got a 50MM f1.4 lens and haven't really done as much as I would have liked, particularly when it comes to using off camera lighting combined with the wide aperture that this lens is capable of.

The difficulty for me is that my wireless triggers for my external flashes only have a 1/250 sync speed (even with 1/250 I begin to get flash fall off in the bottom half of the frame). This means its very hard to find a daylight situation whereby you can expose at 1/250 or lower whilst using the full F1.4 aperture without putting about ten polarising filters on the end of your lens.

I shot this self portrait on a very grey autumnal day @ 1/200 using ISO 100, I had one circular polarising filter mounted to help give me a little less light on my sensor so that I could shoot at F1.4.
The fill comes from one strobe used at its' mildest power setting.

After setting this up I found that I had lost my remote for my camera meaning i had to manually focus this and take about a million shots until I had this one that actually had my eyes in focus!

No comments: