Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Flying low


20121124_121927, originally uploaded by Harry Sewell.
For my Grandpa's 80th my mum and uncle arranged for him to have a flight in a De Havilland Dragonfly - the last of two remaining in the world (and this is the only one able to fly).  Luckily arriving a couple of minutes before take off I was given the opportunity to fly with them too. The experience was one of awe and equally  terror (given the low flying and various near misses of buildings along the way); particularly as I was later informed that most of the 68 ever made had ended up being damaged or destroyed during landing or take off due to a 'Ground loop'. Sadly I jumped in the plane so quickly I only had 50MM lens on me which was a bit too telescopic to catch much of the experience but here are a few of those I did capture.

IMG_5490 IMG_5472 IMG_5509 Dragonfly Henry Labouchere

2 comments:

ADRIAN said...

You lucky devil. Looks much like the Rapide. She is a beauty.

Harry Sewell Photography said...

The Rapide was a predecessor to the dragonfly and also engineered by De Havilland. Was so amazing to fly in this!